Dear Uhuru

Dear Uhuru Kenyatta,

You don’t know meWe’ve actually met once. Chances are you don’t remember. But it’s all good. I tried very hard to be incognito during that occasion.

I wish you all the best on your recent tribulations. It must be rough being accused of all the things you are accused of. May justice prevail in the end.

There’s something I’d like to ask you.

Increasingly of late you have been saying “Tuko pamoja”, presumably as a way of indicating solidarity with we, the unwashed masses.

You probably mean well, but I find it difficult to relate with you.

Perhaps I can explain

1. You don’t pay taxes
  2. As wealthy people go, you and your family are not doing too badly
  3. You have a handsome housing allowance
  4. Your vehicle transportation is paid for, so you won’t notice the fuel hikes
  5. You fly abroad at government expense, and stay in fairly good hotels at government expense as well
  6. While at the airports you make use of the VIP lounge
  7. You probably don’t know where to get matatus for Komarock
  8. Few of us have airports named after their fathers (JKIA)
  9. Few of us have highways named after us (Uhuru Highway)
  10. Few of us have parks named after us (Uhuru Park)
  11. Few of us have streets named after us (Kenyatta Avenue)
  12. Few of us have universities named after us (Kenyatta University)
  13. Few of us have conference centers named after us (KICC)
  14. Your home is palatial. (And absolutely awesome sir. Very well done!)

If I may be impertinent enough to presume to offer you unsolicited advice – I suggest you adopt another catch phrase.

I know you mean well, but it may – MAY come across as a mockery.

Tuko PamojaWarmest regards,

A Kenyan

You may also like...

35 Responses

1. Wambui says:

*sighs* you read my thoughts! Well done… tuko pamo…?

2. that is for real, Tuko Pamoja is not so relevant a campaign for such a guy especially when telling it to citizens.We go through alot he wouldn’t know of, clearly it’s supposed to be Hatuko Pamoja

3. Kbaab says:

Tuko pamoja? Really? Bwana Kenyatta, count me out.

4. Matt Rose says:

But, he *feels* your pain. He may not share it, he may not know anything about it, but he *feels* it. This is, unfortunately, the hallmark of a good politician anywhere…

5. Main says:

Being pamoja is nt necessarily being 2getha on the same class bt ideologically,and who understands wat u going thru.i’m pretty sure you also hav told sme1 of a lower social class ur 2getha.it’s obvious u dont expect him to board a Matatu or Shop at Downtown,it can neva happen bt thats my opinion,doesn’t justify his ‘Tuko Pamoja’ slogan.

6. alvoaizen says:

Truth be told as it is!!!

7. Saldanha says:

Bingwa, umenena! Tuko pamo…sorry yuko pamoja na wengineo!

8. Danzo says:

He probably just means we are in the same country. Stupid election cliches that mean nothing. But another thought could be that he and Ruto are together, as in (Ruto na mimi) Tuko pamoja.

9. wiselar says:

Bwana Uhuru ako mbe.. mbele! Therefore hatuko pamo.. pamoja!

10. Rookieke says:

I think by Tuko Pamoja, he means whatever he smokes and cheap brew he drinks.

11. jke says:

Tuko pamoja, as in “I f*cked it up and now WE are in trouble”.

12. MO says:

In a nutshell is what I call this………….. They can never feel what we feel, looking out of our windows and seeing shanties, he does the same and sees manicured lawns that am sure the guy in the shanties cut for him. It’s a shame and at this rate I see a revolution coming or are these the end of times?

13. JohnDoe says:

mhhhh… u forgot….
    15. Few of us have our fathers portraits on the Kenyan currency note.

14. mutumia says:

Hi M! Like! Although I think we can acquit him of 9 & 10 as Kenyatta Jr, the highway, the Satellite, Star Trek’s Communication officer, and Jaramogi’s book got the name from the other uhuru.

15. montansuru says:

16. Few of us own land the size of nyanza province

16. Mike Sonko says:

Bingwa, umenena kama wazee watatu!

17. ihatekenyanpoliticians says:

he heard people are dying of hunger and asked why the don’t get food from their fridges and eat.

18. JohnDoe says:

17. Few of us have the first Kenyan car named after us….

19. sirikali says:

Dude, you have a point, tuko pamoja my ass!

20. mkX says:

i like what “Rookieke” and “jke” said.

I however think Uhuru is a gay shmuck. Ulevi ni mbaya.

21. woolie says:

Vintage M tell it like it is without pulling punches. The truth hurts and many people don’t like to hear it. Others are shy to see it – like seeing naked bodies…the naked truth. You will find that Nigeria is burning because someone has said “tuko pamoja” or that “our people” are being finished.

22. THE DRUID says:

I applaud the initiative uhuru has undertaken in uniting this nation. this is evident in the massive turnout to his rallies around the nation, if u happened to go for any u’d have noticed how well represented all tribes were at each event i think this has in some way or the other been promoted understanding between us the regular wananchi hence the pamoja-ness.

Single handedly this muru wa jomo has finally crawled from under his fathers shwadow and showed us his mettle.

I will vote for him so will my wife kids and staff TUKO PAMOJA 2012. http://www.uhuru.co.ke

23. njukey says:

“The Druid” you are sounding like Uhuru’s PR guy, I can bet you are the same person who runs his facebook and twitter pages and oh! his website too :) FYI a massive turnout in a rally could mean a lot of things apart from uniting a nation, how else would you explain a rally on Monday with a massive turnout of youth, dont they have work to do worse still it’s their finance minister taking them for a ride.

24. Dennis Ole Itumbi says:

Lets put it this way Uhuru Paark, Uhuru Highway are purely named after the act of independence not the person of Uhuru Kenyatta refer -The Renaming of Kenya as captured in the book Branding kenya post Independence by Greegory Litafer.

Two We cannot make anyone pay for the sins of their father, especially when we believe in the concept of democracy.

Three, He does not pay taxes? Brookside, Five Stars hotels in the Coast, Homegrown, last i checked the KRA website i saw them listed as taxpayers, lets not criticize for the sake of it.

Four, The fact that people are born into the family of the Bishop, does not make them bishops. the fact that he was born in a wealthy family does not mean that he is to be sidelined if he has thoughts and ideas for this country. I rest

Clearly my satire is too subtle!
  25. Wambui says:

Poor Uhuru!! …doesn’t mean I am pamoja. No.

26. RK says:

THE DRUID – the crowd that showed up in his rallies cannot constitute a sizable sample frame to conclude that this dude is universally acceptable. Debe ndio huongea.

Uhuru has shown us what he is – a politician who can survive.

27. Uhuru's Pal says:

Dear Kenyan (Thinker),

Thanks for the well wishes. I am sure there are a lot of people that “meet” but never get to know each other, but since my face is easier for you to recognize, make sure we say hello this time.

I would like to answer some of your questions and I will be brief.

When I say “tuko pamoja” I mean my friends, family and I. I am sure that when you say “we”, you have certain people in mind and they know themselves. It certainly does not mean 40 million, or 6 billion, but feel free to interpret it the way you see fit.

When you say “unwashed masses”, you have crossed the line between a simple question and a political statement. As you undoubtedly know, I do not get into personal political exchanges whose outcome will not help anybody. So, again, feel free to identify yourself as “unwashed masses” but I wonder if you checked with everybody else you presume to represent with that statement to see if they are fine being classified that way?

“You don’t pay taxes”

I do not pay taxes on my parliamentary salary. Neither does any of the other MPs. I certainly did not personally pass that motion and would be more than willing to contribute may fare share if the motion is brought to parliament. And since we are talking about this, I might tell you that I proposed that all government vehicles, especially for ministry officials including myself, be downgraded to less fuel guzzling vehicles. Ministers refused to return their cars and so the files were forwarded to the Justice Department, while all government action goes to die.

I will not talk about family wealth or anything that I think is extraneous. I was one of the very few public figured that declared their wealth before assuming office. Should your question not be why the others refused to declare themselves?

“Few of us have airports named after their fathers (JKIA)
    Few of us have highways named after us (Uhuru Highway)
    Few of us have parks named after us (Uhuru Park)
    Few of us have streets named after us (Kenyatta Avenue)
    Few of us have universities named after us (Kenyatta University)
    Few of us have conference centers named after us (KICC)”

I fail to understand where you are going with this. Kenyans decided to name all these institutions and streets. I will not hold brief for them.

“Your home is palatial. (And absolutely awesome sir. Very well done!)”

Thank you.

“How then, sir, are we ‘pamoja’? On what possible fronts can you relate to the common man who has been crippled by the 9 bob rise in kerosene prices?”

You sound like a bright guy. Your questions are however, rhetorical and baseless. Nobody asked you personally to be “pamoja” where you do not want to be. I have every right as a human being, Kenyan and national leader to use that word. Like I said before, feel free to disown yourself from togetherness.

Lastly, the Good Book says that the “sins of the father shall not be visited upon the son”. The kind of questions you are asking are ones which are peddled by idle people too lazy to engage in facts. In any case, what was done before me I will not answer for. Ask me about what I have done. If you are asking me to be ashamed of my father, the man I know spent the better part of his life laying the groundwork for where you are now, you will be disappointed.

Be blessed and Best Regards.

28. Waweruj says:

“I assure whichever finance minister that scraps this stupidity, or at least reforms it, he will be thought of at least as a higher level mammal with binocular vision rather than the river trolls most people are sure their politicians are!”

Your wise words two years ago on the ridiculous filing of PAYE returns. Do we give the guy a little credit?

29. Sueddy says:

Few of us studied abroad or even had those types of opportunities.

30. prince nJUSH says:

depends tuko pamoja against wat

1. Tuesday September 6, 2011

[…] brief was to pass off as ‘one of us’. (As we have told your fellow politician,of the “Tuko Pamoja”fame, Uhuru Kenyatta: no,we are not together on that high pedestal on which you look down on us […]

2. Friday October 28, 2011

[…] brief was to pass off as ‘one of us’. (As we have told your fellow politician,of the “Tuko Pamoja” fame: Uhuru Kenyatta, no! We are not together on that high pedestal on which you look down on us […]

3. Friday November 18, 2011

[…] I remember the indignation with which most of us responded to his Tuko Pamoja tagline that I believe is at the core of his presidential campaign. The ever philosophical RoomThinker was very articulate in this here open letter(blog) to Mheshimiwa. […]